Saturday 9 February 2008

Fall 2008 Ready-to-Wear Day 9

Well, well, well...It was certainly an interesting day for fashion, that's for sure. I don't know that you could say NY Fashion Week went out with a bang, exactly, because to be honest there was nothing particular ground-breaking about any of these collections. There were some surprises, that's for sure.
Marc Jacobs
Fashionistas all over the world are scratching their heads in confusion, right now. What to make of the Marc Jacobs collection...? Well, it may as well have been a menswear collection as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to sound offensive, I'm just trying to make sense of it. It was very masculine, which surprised me because to begin with there were some very soft, feminine colours being used - but this collection was all about shapes, I suppose.
Even Marc Jacobs himself admitted that he "really wasn't very inspired this season. I just live my life." But when pressed further, conceded that it was about glamour and beautiful women. Well, I didn't see it that's for sure. But to turn all this positive, it was a very original collection, that is for damn sure, lol. Even if I don't like it, I know there will be lots of women out there dying to get their hands on some of these pieces. That's the power of Marc Jacobs...

Donna Karan
Another fairly surprising collection. In the beginning Donna Karan was all about the 'bodysuit' and power dressing for women. This time around, it was all about loose flowing materials, and luxurious colours. At first I didn't really like it (I'm probably not Donna Karan's target consumer, lol), but it's sort of growing on me. I did like this Gatsby-inspired outfit on the left.
A gold runway and a palette to match. It was all about luxury at Donna Karan...

L'Wren Scott
By default, my favourite collection of the day. Lol. But I did genuinely, really like it. It was all about loose-body-con fits - and all the clothes look nice against pale skin. That's a bonus. Lol. There were some interesting corporate-chic looks, with unusually tailored shirts, and cropped jackets (far right), that were very pretty.

I am in love with this look on the left. If I could, I would wear it right now, around the city. As much as I love black tights, it's quite nice to see a change. Even though you wouldn't think so, these white tights (left) are very winter appropriate, too. They bring a softer edge to winter fashion.

Ralph Lauren
Well, we always knew there would be a lot to write about when it comes to Ralph Lauren. He is definitely one of my favourite designers, consistently coming up with beautiful, chic, classic collections that wow me every time. Mainly working with a palette of reds, greens, blacks, purples, and golds, this collection was very Life-on-the-Ranch that could be easily translated to city chic.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single look that I didn't like. The trouble was, condensing it down to 7 at the least (mission accomplished, lol). I think this red and black outfit on the left is my favourite - it's so casual, one could wear it anywhere.
What have we learned from Ralph Lauren? Plaid. Is. Huge. From jackets, to skirts, and even dresses (middle), plaid is back.

Well that's it for New York Fashion Week. But don't worry, we're off to Europe for the shows now!
I don't think I will cover the rest of the shows in the same way I covered New York. It's a bit too much work to squeeze into my schedule right now. I'll figure something out, though, don't worry. Lol. So tell me, which was your favourite collection from New York Fashion Week?

Catch.

Romany

[photos courtesy of style.com]

4 comments:

Ella Gregory said...

I relly liked Donna Karan, she is one of my faves anyway when it comes to NY fashion week!

Ali said...

v. cute blog.
& i absolutely adored le ralph lauren a/w collection this year. always classic.

Wendy said...

I didn't understand Marc Jacob's collection and why it'd seem appealing. But I loved Ralph Lauren, the jackets are way cool.

Romany said...

Yay agreement all around: Ralph Lauren rules! :) Lol.
Yes it was nice to see something different from Donna Karan wasn't it? She's always a favourite... :)
Romany
xx