Tuesday 5 February 2008

Fall 2008 Ready-to-Wear Day 5

Well, to think I thought Day 4 was huge...
Scratch Day 4 being my favourite, the collections from Day 5 have taken that place of my heart.
Proenza Schouler
Hold on a minute...is that? Yes it is! It's Alice Burdeu on the left there! Awesome outfit, she looks amazing. I think runway is definitely more her element, over photo shoots. Well it's good to see she's finally starting to make a name for herself, internationally.
Anyway...I don't think I've been this confused in a long time - before Spring 08 Ready-to-Wear I was a pretty big non-fan of Proenza Schouler. But something has changed. Something must have changed, because I simply loved this collection. I really liked the white outfits, they were really lovely, but unfortunately most of them got washed out by the white runway.

Even I would wear this around town (only Paris, of course). To and from a fashion show, a romantic dinner, a cocktail party in winter - this cute outfit is very practical. So what's changed? Is it them (Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough, right)? Or...is it me?

Halston
Lol. I had to do some minor editing on the picture second from the left - it was a tad see-through! I thought it might be a bit inappropriate.
Onto the fashion - Sheaths. Are. Hot. Well, according to Harvey Weinstein anyway. I really liked this collection. I think that might have something to do with the fact that, with Halston being relaunched, new team members have been recruited - Rachel Zoe included. I don't know about you guys, but I have extremely similar taste to Ms. Zoe. I think if she ever designed a fashion collection, I would adore it.

Oscar de la Renta
Loved it, loved it, loved it. One problem, though - of course, these being autumn/winter styles, it's fur galore. I'm a vegetarian (well, vege-quarian, technically), and am quite strongly opposed to fur as fashion. But fur aside, this purple and grey outfit on the right is to die for! Impeccably styled - it's casual chic with an air of effortless class about it.

Ordinarily, I would probably think these shoes are tacky. But, Oscar de la Renta being the epitome of elegance and sophistication manages to change my mind. They're very cute, but would probably only work with black tights. I can definitely see this green dress on the right making an appearance on a red carpet sometime soon.

And of course, the evening gowns. There two were my favourite, and positively flawless. If I were Flavia (left) or Liya (right) I know I would certainly be smiling if I was sporting one of those gowns.

Peter Som
This collection didn't really do anything for me (except for the rather lovely dark red dress on the right). I mainly posted these because it's a rather obvious showcase of a new trend, it seems. Flannel. I had no idea that high school trends could translate to runway trends. But it seems it has - flannel has been popping up at a few different shows, Peter Som being one of them.

Adam
This was a collection that I forgot to (aka, didn't even think to) write about yesterday. I was flipping through it, and I quite liked it. It was artistic, well-styled and abundant in black. This outfit was my favourite, and the pattern of the skirt pretty much backs up my flannel-is-hot-for-some-reason theory. Lol.

Betsey Johnson
Oh, how can you not like Betsey? She's so wild and individual - a real flair for original fashion. I've seen better Betsey Johnson collections, to be honest, but that doesn't mean that this one wasn't impressive. There were some rather interesting sunnies (far right) that weaved they're way through the collection - similar to those at Dior's Spring 08 Ready-to-Wear collection.

I really love this outfit on the left. It's French chic with a hint of rock. I love this middle outfit as well. It's so 80s, in a good way, but 80s has been back for ages now, so it's no surprise. I would totally wear this pink outfit on the right, but as a top, I don't really have the legs to wear it as dress like the model - the boots are cute too.

Doo. Ri
I loved Doo. Ri's last collection and I love this new one too. She has a very distinctive style - it's very New York. Just the way I like it. Lol. Lots of black, lots of layering, some cute knit hats for the new season and all paired with hot black tights.

Apparently, Doo. Ri Chung designed all the accessories - shoes, hats, gloves, jewellery - herself. Wow that's a pretty amazing effort for a fairly 'new' designer. All the accessories were just as cute and stylish as the clothes themselves. Perhaps she'll release an accessories line of her own to showcase this even more? Here's hoping.

Wow, that was very tiring. Lol.
Only a few more days of NY Fashion Week to go, unfortunately. Looks like we're in for some pretty impressive style this autumn and winter.

Catch.

Romany

[photos courtesy of style.com]

No comments: