Friday 8 February 2008

Fall 2008 Ready-to-Wear Day 7

Wow, there has just been so much to cover this season. It's so exhausting! Lol. I can't think of anything of funny or even remotely interesting to begin this post with because I'm completely witty-ed-out. I'll try my best to review the collections with as much gusto as I can muster, but no promises. Lol.
Temperley
This collection was very Versace circa Spring 08. It seems the styles and hair/makeup inspirations for that season have been whole-heartedly repeated here and there this season. Not that it's bad - Spring 08 was a very gorgeous season. What I really loved about this collection (besides the use of colour - really, it's just a blur of beautiful patterns and bright colours. Oh and black belts - yes more belts. Lol) is the somewhat grunge aspect...

...almost every piece in this collection can be paired with leather boots. And even though the clothes themselves are rather feminine and soft, all the models look downright fierce - it's a really interesting contrast.

3.1 Phillip Lim
I've heard lots of criticism about this collection -mainly that it's very old lady like. I get this - but, in my opinion, it worked. When I first viewed this collection, I didn't like it at all. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's really wonderfully styled (one outfit in particular, which I didn't actually put up here, for some reason) with accessories, the clothes are very wearable - that's always a plus. The only thing that really needed to go was the makeup. He probably could've avoided the whole old lady debacle by choosing different makeup, I think.

Isaac Mizrahi
Ever since the whole ScarJo chest-grabbing at the Golden Globes incident, I haven't really been able to take Isaac Mizrahi seriously as a designer. But now I realised, I don't really have to because his designs just aren't really my style. I did like these four pieces, though. I thought the waist-cinching ribbons were cute.
But as whole, his collection didn't really wow me. Maybe I'm just having an off-day?

Marchesa
I'm usually a huge Marchesa fan. But this collection, to be honest, was a bit meh. These four looks were quite lovely, but as far as I'm concerned, not really up to regular Marchesa standards. I see Jennifer Lopez as the somewhat poster-girl for Marchesa, so sometimes I judge their collections on whether or not I could see J.Lo wearing one of their looks - well, I'm afraid I can't see J.Lo wearing anything from here. But I could be wrong.
Oh well, everybody has their dud seasons, don't they?

Michael Kors
Michael Kors - I really love his name. It's very classy, I believe. I really, really loved these three looks. The brown dress on the right is just gorgeous - very New York socialite. Middle dress is cute - I can see someone like Kirsten Dunst wearing this. And the gown on the right is just to die for.

Bits and Pieces
These were some looks that I simply adored. They're from certain collections that I didn't necessarily like as a whole, and therefore couldn't really include in the post, but I loved these outfits so much I couldn't bring myself to not include them. I couldn't even pick a favourite because they're all too gorgeous (well, the VPL isn't exactly gorgeous, but there's something about that draws me in - it's something I wish I could wear, but believe me, it would be unflattering).

There we go. That wasn't too bad was it? Lol.

Catch.

Romany

[photos courtesy of style.com]

No comments: