Tuesday 12 June 2007

Lost in a sea of (mostly) beauty: ad campaigns


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was flipping through my first copy of US Vogue today, May 2007, and couldn't help but notice the ad campaigns. And by 'couldn't help but notice', I mean there were so many they practically slapped me across the face.
I counted 43 ad campaigns, and that was just until the editor's letter. The of this 43 were actually displayed in between Ms. Wintour's letter. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Vogue devotee as much as the next girl, but I personally don't understand the need for all these ads...? The magazine inadvertently advertises hundreds and hundreds of brands anyway, jam packed into articles, photo shoots and style (etc...) tips.
But obviously, I'm not saying get rid of them all together (after all, one of my favourite hobbies is to check out which new, or old, models are hot on the ad campaign scene these days...). Just cut it down from, what seems like 150, to perhaps 50. Having said that, though, there were a few that caught my eye.
L'Oreal HiP:
Ok, is it just me, or does Milla Jovovich look exactly like Linda Evangelista in this ad? Tommy Hilfiger: Now here are some ads we need more of...It's all so beautiful. The setting, the outfits, the models. Honestly, they're some of the most perfect ad campaigns I've ever seen. Versace: I love that Versace is all about shapes, and femininity these days. Kudos to Donatella for making minimality look sexy. Marc Jacobs: does the fact that Dakota Fanning is being robbed of her childhood really need to be any more apparent than it already is? I'm sorry but I hate this ad. I don't know what they were hoping to achieve with this one but all I see when I look at it is sleaze. Poor Dakota. Chanel: God, could these be any less what Chanel is about? Marco Bicego: Leo's new girlfriend, Bar Refaeli... she's pretty. BVLGARI: Could Stam be any more stunning? Perfect spokesmodel for Bulgari.

Anyway, that's pretty much the only interesting thing that's happened to me today, so far, but don't worry, I'll keep you all posted.


Catch.

*Romany*

No comments: