Thursday 1 January 2009

Best Dresses of 2008

And so another year comes to a close, bringing with it a legacy of gorgeous gowns that simply cannot go unacknowledged for one final time. I found myself, once again, disagreeing with the big lists of Best Dresses of 2008, and decided to, once again, create my own (note: one will never find a Worst Dressed list on The 16 Diaries -- fashion is about expression, and while we may not all always agree on what's good and what's bad, it's fair enough that others don't get berated for their choices in how to express themselves).

Perfect. Just perfect.

The 2008 Costume Institute Gala had a really strong showing as far as fashion is concerned. These gorgeous gowns were among my favourites...

...as were these.

I couldn't explain it at the time, and I can do no better now, but there is just something about January Jones' Emmy look that I just love. The makeup could have been a little less gothic which such a soft, romantic dress, but the dress itself...And Olivia Wilde really pulled out all the stops, and came out on top with this gorgeous number.

Now, I'm not usually one to put Nicole Kidman on my Best Dressed lists (her style is usually too harsh for my personal liking), but this dazzling white L'Wren Scott just couldn't go unmentioned. Kristen Stewart outdid herself at the Twilight Premiere in LA. This dress is great because it's just a little bit different...

A last minute addition. I realised I didn't have any looks from the 2008 Oscars so I quickly scanned for my favourite. Luckily Heidi, being the fashion queen that she is, stood out from all the rest in this totally fierce, shocking red Dior gown (which was to be auctioned off for charity after the show).

And so the moment of truth. What did you all think? Love 'em? Or leave 'em?

Catch.

Romany

[photos courtesy of style.com 1, 2 and 3, justjared.buzznet.com , people.com and style.popcrunch.com]

9 comments:

T said...

I love Camille Belle in the Armani and Kristen Stewart's Balenciaga. Great picks!

the assistant said...

agree great pics!

hannah said...

gorgeous! great choices.

Anonymous said...

Great choices! I appreciate your note. I'm sick of fashion blogs belittling celebs because their outfit isn't the blogger's cup of tea! Fashion and style are about diversity!

Margaux said...

I love Heidi's dress.

- said...

Kristen Stewart, January Jones and Heidi get snaps for their gowns. Adore...

i.d. said...

Oh there were too many lovely frocks to choose from. I loved Natalie Portman's white Lanvin (?) one too. x

Vera said...

Bee looks AMAZING in that Nina Ricci gown!

Fashioncholic Girl said...

i found bee shaffler's nina ricci dress gorgeous !!!