Friday 25 July 2008

Australians at their best...

I've been meaning to blog about one of these amazing aspects of the Australian arts industry for a long time now. But the right opportunity never presented itself. And then coincidence of all coincidences, I happened to stumble upon (a.k.a. watch. Lol.) the movie Moulin Rouge! this morning and inspiration struck! The opportunity has finally presented itself, alongside another amazing aspect of the Australian arts industry: a fashion label by the name of Wheels & Dollbaby.

Moulin Rouge!
Seven years ago, Baz Luhrmann released his most phenomenal movie to date, Moulin Rouge. I fell in love, and that love has lasted (though it waned, I'll admit) all the way up until today when I rediscovered what a truly incredible filmmaker Mr. Luhrmann really is. Several months after the movie's release, Harper's Bazaar Australia decided to dedicate a large portion (including the cover) to the movie and its stars. An issue for which the team won an award. I remember this issue as the still photos used were almost as mesmorising as the actual film.

Harper's Bazaar Australia coverage
Stunning, aren't they?
I'm writing about this because I think it's important to spread the word about Australian talent. Whether it be filmmakers (e.g. Baz Luhrmann), magazine editors (e.g. Harper's Bazaar team) or just about anything else you can think of, we've got some real beauties just waiting to burst onto the scene and show the world what they've got.

Wheels & Dollbaby
At this point in time, I have three Australian fashion labels that top my list of all-time favourites. Alannah Hill. Alex Perry. And Wheels and Dollbaby. In essence, they're very similar brands: ultra feminine and internationally recognised and loved. As soon as I can afford to pay $150 for a t-shirt, Wheels and Dollbaby will be my everyday-wear label of choice.

Is this not the hottest body-con dress you've ever seen?
Am I the only one who feels inspired to go to the gym and work my ass off (literally. Lol.) right now? A dress like this can be quite unforgiving in the flattery department, if worn without caution.

Much more to come on the very best of Australian talent.
Oh and please don't forget to cast you vote(s) in this month's poll on the right hand side of the page.

Catch.

Romany

[photos courtesy of nicolekidmanunited.invisionzone.com, imdb.com 1 and 2 and wheelsanddollbaby.com]

15 comments:

ashleigh said...

oh yes. us australians sure are something :) this is such a wonderful, passionate post. thanks for sharing :)

EvaAmarri said...

Moulin Rouge is an amazing and visually stimulating movie. And yes that is an amazing body-con dress

T said...

I love the Harper's Bazaar Australia coverage. I've never seen Moulin Rouge :[ but it looks fun.

Unknown said...

I love Moulin Rouge!!!! so jealous of Australia right now =(

Unknown said...

PS you've won an award see my blog for detailssss

congrats!

Anonymous said...

Moulin Rouge was visually spectacular. It was my favourite movie for about three years and I used to watch it constantly. I just loved all the sequins and feathers.

Style Spot said...

you're very welcome, you deserve it a lot, Romany ;)

I've heard about Wheels and Dollbaby before, but I never knew that their clothes look so good! I'll have to look out for that label. Thanks so much for this post, I enjoyed it a lot sweetie!

xxx

AsianCajuns said...

Great post. I think Australia gets overlooked a lot in all the creative fields, which is such as shame. Maybe your blog will change all that!

the assistant said...

Moulin Rouge was very good, the outfits were pretty good too but I heard they were awful to get in and out of.

The Redheaded Bandit said...

i still have not seen that movie... sometimes I feel so outta it... fabulous post!

The Fashion Time said...

Hmmmm,
When most Americans think of
Baz Luhrmann, they think of the song Sunscreen. It's one of those strange entertainment conundrums of history.
The Fashion Time Magazine

Skyla said...

you are definitely a journalist in the making, romany! i loved all the ongs and outfits in moulin rouge. the only negative for me was nicole kidman, i've come to find her quite irritating.
and those stills are mind-blowing!

Anonymous said...

Cool post (great work as always- couldn't have said it better myself Skyla!)
I just totally love the new stuff from Wheels and Doll Baby, I even included it in one of my recent articles(work not my blog)and of course what woman doesn't love Alex Perry - the clothes are to die for!

Romany said...

Thank you for all the gorgeous comments! :)
Romany
xx

Fifi Flowers said...

ooh la la... I want to wear that striped dress... hmmm and look like that in it!